Thursday, April 3, 2008

More Prep Baseball



Jackson County second baseman Rob Williams holds up his glove after tagging out Clarke Central second baseman Will Lance as Lance tried to steal second as the Jackson County Panthers beat the Clarke Central Gladiators 2-0 on Wednesday, April 2, 2008.

So yeah. I've gotten my share of baseball lately and I'm enjoying every minute of it, especially when it was a tight game.

I'm learning a few things, like where NOT to stand. Last nights game featured an elevated area that was right over home plate. I sat there for 5 innings waiting to get a sliding into home photo. Twas not to be, never happened. Got some nice 2nd base action from there but not much more. 2nd base is your "safe shot" along with the pitchers. You shoot the pitchers warming up in the first, camp on 2nd base until you get something and then you're free to try and get something different - like sitting over home plate. It didn't pay off at all.



Clarke Central's Philip Wierson misses a pitch by Jackson County's Trevor Booth as the Jackson County Panthers beat the Clarke Central Gladiators 2-0 on Wednesday, April 2, 2008.

Thanks to the fence, i totally missed some right field catches. Which is why i shouldn't have been standing/sitting/staying there.



Clarke Central second baseman Will Lance backhands a ground ball as the Jackson County Panthers beat the Clarke Central Gladiators 2-0 on Wednesday, April 2, 2008.

I remember talking with a 15-year vet of freelancing back in Atlanta, one of the best baseball photographers out there. Great guy, was insanely patient with me and my shitty football stuff. I payed attention, i learned and i know that while these are good daily photos, they're not meant for my portfolio. Its just good, soild work that makes my editors go "oooooo" and at the end of the day, that's whats needed. You know a portfolio winner or a contest winner when you see it. I was told that at the end of a 150+ game season, this photographer would have a handful of pictures - maybe 10 - that deserved to go in his portfolio from baseball. I'd say I'm up to 2, maybe 3. Big maybe. Its all on where you place the bar and how high your standards are. For good or bad, my standards are incredibly high.



Clarke Central third baseman Phillip Wierson looks up to see the umpire rule him safe while Jackson County second baseman Rob Williams applies a tag as the Jackson County Panthers beat the Clarke Central Gladiators 2-0 on Wednesday, April 2, 2008.

No comments: