Sunday, August 10, 2008

Vacation Posting Part 2



Super Clamp. Ball Head. Railing. Works for me.

I've had a 24-85 for many years now. Decent, mid-range lens. Pretty much went back on the shelf 4 years ago. Didn't have a good use for it, didn't like the way things looked. Wide wasn't wide enough on a full-framed Nikon and then I'd see all these Canon kids come right out of college with their 5d's and their 24-70's lenses just making some amazing photos. I dug out the lens for a couple of years back for a week after hearing Christopher Morris speak at NPPA's annual meeting. He was expounding on the 24-70/full frame combo.

And you know what? He's right.

I dug out my 24-85 the instant i got my D700. It seems like almost the ideal lens for photojournalism. I like the way the depth of field looks and i actually like some of the vignetting that the lens causes. I seem to be able to frame a photo more effectively.



So i used this Disney trip as a proving ground on how to use my D700 and use this lens properly.



There was a nasty reflection on the window and i was trying to make a photo out of the reflection and the meet'n'greet with Buzz and Woody, but it didn't work the way i wanted it.

Now after a hard day in the parks, we took a nap around 8 before going back out and accidently slept until 4AM. So i photographed the sunrise.





This bunny (or hare) was having breakfast on some ornamental shrubs and for this one i used the 70-300.



Ducks swim in the Wilderness Lodge pool.





I really enjoyed the new parade at the Studios. There was a stroller next to me, so i used it as a framing device.



Tinker Bell is real, and she can fly. Yet another photo I've always wanted to make. (70-300/5.6 with DX crop, 1/80th 12800 ISO and a very handy spotlight)



The picture of Mr. Toad inside of the Winnie the Pooh attraction. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was in its place before being replaced by Pooh.

1 comment:

Dan Manning said...

There were seriously at least five or six bunnies scattered throughout the outdoor guest areas of Wilderness Lodge.