Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Three Hours of Work & they didn't run.



Tommy McNaull, center, and Erica Wilhelm react as they watch as the US falls to Ghana 2-1 in the World Cup at Lansdowne Road pub on Saturday, June 26, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

On Saturday i was asked to go to the local Irish pub, which was the epicenter of World Cup watching for Athens. I have never seen a bar that packed for ANYTHING ever. (Hell, there was more room to move at the last Murphys show i went to.)

The whole story after the jump...



So i talked my way behind the bar and ended up at the far end, where i found Tommy with his face painted. That's what attracts photographers. Not drunken guys with jerseys on whom say "Dont use my picture" but they ham it up for the camera in the first place.

I spend about 3 hours doing a little dance, almost a tango of sorts, with the barmaids as to stay out of their way. I did my best to keep my eyes on my subjects, the bartenders with pitchers of beer and the game, which i could not see.

At first i went in with full waist bag on but quickly realized that I had to find a safe spot for it and shoot with just the 2 cameras. I went for an 85/1.8 and the 16/fisheye as they were both lightweight and could get the center of the room and show the utter mass of humanity that was sweating along with me.



When the US scored, the place literally exploded.



The center of the room was packed, with people standing on tables to watch.



Lots of patriotism and flag waving.



One of the bartenders, whom actually was from Ghana, showed up as the lone Ghana supporter.




Just liked the flags here.



Cheering as the game started.

But what gets me is that they didn't use any of it. The sports layout guy decided on his own to use nothing but wire photos from the game.

So a generous thanks to the staff at Lansdowne Road Pub (Corner of College & Washington Streets) for letting me work there and share in the party.

No comments: