Sunday, December 26, 2010

Photos of the Year



Barrow County Sheriff's Deputy Chris Hulett, right, kisses his bride Keni Carter during their wedding reception at Athens Regional Medical Center on Fri., Jan 29, 2010 in Athens, Ga. Hulett was diagnosed with end-stage melanoma. Carter decided Friday morning that they should be married later that day.

Its time for my Photos of the Year. These 22 are some of the best and my favorites of the year, out of the fifty-some I narrowed it down to. I want to add some commentary and context to the shots as I go.

The shot about, Chris Hulett's wedding. We found out about a 1/2 hour before the wedding and we sped over like no other. I started shooting before the hospital PR people had people sign their releases but to no matter. I had the privilege to see a couple get married and have one of the happiest days of their life in the midst of some of their worst times.





A man walks through the snow on the campus of the University of Georgia on Friday, February 12, 2010 in Athens, Ga. The National Weather Service forecasted up to 3 inches of snow for the region.

Such is what passes for snow in the south.



Athens Clarke Firefighters extinguish a fire that consumed a Honda Accord that was traveling on the Athens Perimeter on Friday, February 19, 2010 in Athens, Ga. Traffic was stopped on the outer loop of the road for about 20 minutes while firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Spot news for my birthday. I had just dropped off the dog at the the kennel. Of interesting concidence, the last time i had dropped off the dog at the kennel (for Christmas 2009) I ran across a house fire. This time, a car-b-que. No one was hurt, traffic was backed up and I made a frame.



Eleven-year-old Kaden Campbell is silhouetted against the sun at the skate park in Southeast Clarke Park on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

I was told to go out and photograph skateboarders for a story of the anniversary of the local skate park. They PAID me to go do this. Without complaint, i managed to stretch this out for hours and walked away with a frame I always wanted to make.




Athens-Clarke Police Det. Rebecca Croxton carries Haley Grace Pope, the newborn baby of 29-year-old Leigh Pope, following a multiple domestic shooting after Pope was killed in Southeastern Clarke County on Tuesday April 20, 2010. Leigh Pope, 29, was shot and killed by her brother Richard Norred, 28 after Norred shot Pope as well as her sister Amy Norred, 31, and their mother Carrol Norred, 63.

I was getting coffee at the time. I got a call saying there might be a triple shooting and it was somewhere in the Southwestern side of the county and our cops reporter Joe Johnson was checking into it. I ran to the car called Joe and got a vague location as he wasn't at the scene yet. I followed a few PD command cars into the area. Parked a block away (always park so you can get your car out), came up with the 400 & a teleconverter and the first thing I saw was Det. Croxton carrying a baby. (She is a very good forensic investigator so her carrying a baby was a tad unusual). Somehow, I knew that this was "the shot" for this story. As it would turn out, the Popes were neighbors with a friend of mine. My heart goes out to David and his daughter.



Aerial dancer April Moore Skelton hangs from a ring as they rehearse at Canopy Studios for their upcoming show "Fractured Fairy Tales" on Tuesday, April 21, 2010.

Canopy is a wonderful place to shoot. The stage lights and the aerial dance make a good combination.




Female rider Theresa Cliff-Ryan looks up after crashing moments after winning the Womens Criterium event of the Athens Twilight Criterium on Saturday, April 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

Rain and rain and rain. That's how you sum up Athens Twilight 2010. Despite being covered in raingear and having me cameras covered in raincovers, both me and my equipment got SOAKED. I walked the whole course and then spent most of the remaining time at the start/finish line. I followed the women's finish across the line, looked down and then heard the crash. Looked up, fired away some frames and the thing that gets me is the completely stunned look on the face of the Cliff-Ryan, who just won the event, as she looks up.




Kayakers paddle on the Middle Oconee River on Friday, April 30, 2010 in Athens, Ga. Temperatures soared into the lower 80s Friday and are forecast to remain that way through Sunday.

I turned a business story about Terry Stephen's kayak business (Big Dawgs on the River) into a weather feature. I enjoy the rich textures.



A great blue heron carries a fish out of a pond near the 13th green during the final round of the Athens Classic on the Nationwide Tour at the University of Georgia Golf Course on Sunday, May 2, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

The leaders were on the green behind me. Last group, final round. What am I doing? I'm photographing a bird fish. Better use of my time if you ask me.



Space Shuttle Atlantis lifts off from the Kennedy Space Center on Friday, May 14, 2010 en route to the International Space Station. Friday marks the last scheduled launch for the 25-year-old Atlantis.

Another shot I've always wanted to make. Thanks to Scott Andrews of Canon Professional Services for hitchhiking along in his van during remote setup and Ken Thornsley of NASA for his help as well. This was my third try at remotes and finally got something I wanted.



Rob and Ronnie Sprague, Warner Robbins, Ga., do a belly-flop into a mud hole at the Summer Redneck Games on Saturday, July 10, 2010 in East Dublin, Ga.

The Redneck Games. Attractor of photojournalists everywhere. Fun time, got to meet Corey Perrine, Melissa Lyttle and Josh Ritchie. Great time, except for the speeding ticket. (And the fire ants; I still have scars)



An Athens-Clarke firefighter walks past a fireball erupting from the remains of J and J Chemical Company on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 in Athens, Ga. The fire broke out around midnight and flared up around 8:15 a.m. The Athens plant produces toilet bowl disinfectant.

They always tell you to fill the frame and and that "if you're photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough." I was plenty close, my face felt sunburned after this frame and I was at least 200 yards away. (I love the non chalent look on the firefighter.)



A boy tries to hold an umbrella over the head of a man he is walking with as rain falls on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

I was searching for a weather feature, trying to a reflection shot in a puddle when these two walked by. Saw it out of the corner of my eye.



Athens-Clarke Police Major Mark Sizemore, left and Capt. Clarence Holeman, right, try to console the friend of 20-year-old Chateaubrian L. "Toby" Bailey who was shot to death in the 130 building of Bethel Midtown Village on Friday, August 27, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

I was out getting coffee when I heard about a possible murder at the local housing project. I headed over and saw lots of police brass. The story would play out that t was an accidental shooting. Out of nowhere, this scene happened. Fired off some frames. The grief tells the story.




Harris Culley plays guitar for Bombtrack, a Rage Against the Machine cover band at Rye Bar in Athens, Ga.

This was one of those times when walking back and getting my camera paid off handsomely. Made some good frames. Love the colors.



Zach Yurchuck fishes from his kayak on Lake Chapman at Sandy Creek Park on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

Getting up early for an assignment paid off. Cool morning made the steam come off the lake which just looked beautiful.



Kindergartner William Johnson works with paraprofessional Cindy Hawks at Ila Elementary School on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 in Ila, Ga. Ila Elementary School is one of only six schools in Georgia to receive a Blue Ribbon award from the U.S. Department of Education for academic achievement.

I'm always looking for something different when i go into a school. This one worked out well.




Colorado Buffaloes quarterback Tyler Hansen (9) is held up by Colorado Buffaloes offensive linesman Ryan Miller (73) after scoring on a two-yard touchdown run in the third quarter as the Colorado Buffaloes beat the Georgia Bulldogs 29-27 at Folsom Field on Saturday, October 2, 2010 in Boulder, Co. (

The Colorado/Georgia game made for some great photos. This jube shot came from the length of the field with a 400 & a teleconverter on crop mode as there is no room whatsoever on the sidelines at Colorado. It was also the trip when I got to meet Jenn LeBlanc & Cora.



Supporters for Athens Mayoral candidate watch election returns at Cine on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

Election returns. It seems more graphical then someone looking at a computer.



Tommy McNaull, center, and Erica Wilhelm react as they watch as the US falls to Ghana 2-1 in the World Cup at Lansdowne Road pub on Saturday, June 26, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

I have to give serious thanks to Dustin Karr, Vandi, Ali and the rest of the crew at Lansdowne Road for this. After all the help I've gotten there, they got my patronage.



The North Celestial Pole swirls above the Georgia Guidestones on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 in Elberton, Ga. The granite monument often referred to as the "American Stonehenge" have ten guiding principles engraves on them in eight different languages.

Of course it was 27 degrees out when I took this. I went and hid in the car during the long exposure.




Georgia Wide Receiver A.J. Green on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

Little did I know that when I took this shot that we would make it out cover shot for our Gameday section two months later, after Green's tangle with the NCAA and a four-game suspension.

No comments: