Sunday, February 13, 2011

Okay, its been awhile.... First Up - Drive By Truckers



Patterson Hood sings as the Drive By Truckers play the 40 Watt Club as part of their annual homecoming shows on Thursday, January 13, 2011 in Athens, Ga.

So i took an unintentional leave from blogging. The truth? I've been out making photos. Daily assignments. Running all over the place. (We wont discuss the ridiculous amount of laundry)

We'll pick back up from last month; I got to photograph the Drive By Truckers on the first night of their annual homecoming shows at the 40 Watt Club in Athens. DBT is a little different when it comes to photographers - or so it was for this show. Usually it is 3 songs and out (I tend to push that when i can) but with DBT it was "stay the whole night" which meant I got a ton of photos. Even better, I managed to steal borrow my girlfriend's d300 so I had two bodies to shoot with.

Hit the jump for the insights....



I tend to take a different approach to concert photography. While i do love the "up close and personal" front of stage, wide angle shots, they bore me, especially if there is no barricade and i have to fight my way up there. I'm also loathe to even take the "Guy at Microphone standing in good light" photo. Neither do anything for me artistically.

What i want to see from a concert shot is the concert - the energy, the crowd, the light and the artistry. Thats how i approach it.


Snuck up to the back of the stage for the last song of the first set. Got lucky when Patterson turned towards me.




The hands. Its all about the hands.







No comments: