Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mascot Fun



Star, the mascot of WNBA's Atlanta Dream, covers his ears while the national anthem is sung by an elementary school choir before the the Georgia Lady Bulldogs play the Arkansas Lady Razorbacks at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2009.

Yesterday i was archiving and came across this gem that still makes me laugh. I was UGA's womens team to come out of the locker room and run out into the court when the national anthem started. Generally i look for a photo and if there's nothing to shoot, I stop and be respectful - its what you do.

Apparently Mr. Mascot known as "Star" - the mascot for the WNBA's Atlanta Dream - decided that hearing a bunch of third graders try and sing the national anthem was just too much for him/her/it. Naturally i took a photo of it.

The kids really did try and its a very hard song to sing. (I hear it 2 or 3 times a week; grown adults and professional singers have trouble with it) Whether i agree or disagree with the sentiment put forth by the mascot, it still makes me laugh.

EDIT: Now that i see there was a page spike from the AtlantaDreamBlog, I have one thing to say - sign Jen Deverjanik. (FA, Phoenix.) That ends my plugging of athletes i went to college with.....

No comments: