Friday, July 10, 2009

Allison Weiss



This is musician Allison Weiss in her studio in Athens, Ga.

I've been working on trying to do different things with my lights, be it trying a softbox rather than a grid or a gel or something creative whatsoever. I tried a new Lumidyne Softbox III and went with a CTO gel (I have been reading too much Joe McNally of late) and went with a barebulb (grid) on the light on the rear.

For a musician, she was very cool to work with. She even photographed me and a reporter and posted it on facebook.... which was funny as the reporter did not want to be photographed at all.

I shot this too tight because i really like the guitar shadows on the wall. Beyond that, i really tried to put some through into my shots and the portraiture.



Then i went quirky fisheye and my only problem with it is two things. One - shoulda moved the lightstand and two - flash was about 1/3rd to 1/2 stop hot.



Then we went outside and worked on the street. I should have cranked the shutter speed way up and kill the ambient as its too light for my taste. (Then again, i was also getting heckled by some of the ladies who work at a local "showbar" whom we're having a smoke.)

All in all, its a different direction for my work as I'm trying new things.

No comments: