Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Barn Fire



An Athens Clarke firefighter is silhouetted by the flames from a barn in the 700 block of Double Bridges Road that caught fire on Sunday, July 5, 2009 in Athens, Ga. No one was hurt while the barn, several vehicles and an adjacent apartment were completely destroyed.

The last thing after spending 11 straight hours inside a car driving from Maryland was to grab my camera and go to a fire. But after hearing 3 or 4 engine companies go screaming down U.S. 78, it was time to figure out what was going on.

Thankfully i saw a passing command car and just followed them all the way to the scene which was a metal barn out by the Oglethorpe County line which was fully involved when everyone got there.

Of small irony, my first ever spot news I shot at the ripe old age of 12 was a barn on fire while on a boy scout trip. (On Tri-X and developed it myself)

So on this fire, i finally got my cliche' silhouetted firefighter against flames. Been looking for that shot but ACCFD does such a good job, i rarely get the opportunity. I made my photos, called the news desk and went home and collapsed.



1 comment:

Wesley S. Abney said...

Good job on these David; especially the silhouette. Great capture there.