Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Black and Blue Feature Hunting



I worked Monday, Labor Day. Very thin paper news wise. I went out feature hunting thinking that i would need an A1 dominant photo. Figured I would go looking on the Broad River for kayakers and canoes (there were none) and instead went to Watson Mill State Park where i knew there would be people.

The most photogenic people were these kids sliding down a small waterfall on the far side of the river on an innertube. The river was running very, very low - maybe 3-6 inches deep. I carefully walked over there with my 24-85 (D700) & 300 (D2X) and go to the top of the rocks they are sliding down. I try to shoot an overhead shot and realized my shadow was getting in the way. I decided to walk down to the bottom where they were splashing down into a small pool of water. I made it 3 steps on the brown, algae covered rocks before i slipped and went boom.

The 300 landed on my chest but the 24-85 nailed a rock, lens first, shattering the protective filter on the end of it. Some parents checked on me and i went off to the side to break out the filter so i could continue shooting. Made some photos. Became more aware of where i was putting my feet.

All told i ruined a pair of shoes, bruised the whole right side of my body and broke a filter that is still stuck on the lens.

On retelling the story, my friends were more concerned with the camera. They know me so well.

No comments: