Monday, November 5, 2007

Astrophotograpy, Take one.



This is a work in progress. Hopefully i will go back and do it right in the next few days.

This is the Watson Mill Covered ridge here in Georgia. Built in the 1800s, its creepy as all get out to drive over, yet the North Celestial Pole is conviently right over the bridge. One cannot ask for a better photo.

This was at ISO 200, f/2.8 for 8 minutes. (No noise NR) The 15 minute one looked much better (stars wise) but just wasn't good enough. I'll keep working on this, I'm expecting to do a 1/2 hour exposure with some NR.

1 comment:

Matt Sowers said...

Nice astro shot. If you're going for longer exposures (which I highly recommend) I'd try stopping down to f4 or 5.6. Always seemed to work best for me, although that was with film. Every digital star trail shot I tried failed miserably. Batteries crapped after half an hour. Also, watch your condensation.

If you've got incredibly dark skies I'd say get yourself a mechanical film camera and go for 2-3 hours. Results are incredible if you can keep the dew off your lens.

Also, congrats on the spot news win.