Saturday, February 27, 2010

Opening Day Baseball



Georgia outfielder Zach Cone (12) sticks out his tongue after reaching second base on an error in the bottom of the first inning as Georgia beats Presbyterian College 11-3 at Foley Field on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

Its my third opening day in a row for the Georgia baseball team.

Third year in a row I froze my ass off too.





Presbyterian center fielder Aaron Preston makes a catch overtop of right fielder Nate Chong as Georgia beats Presbyterian College 11-3 at Foley Field on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga.

I love baseball. I make no secret about that. I love the subtleties of the game, i love the rhythm, the emotions and the passions. There's just something special about this sport and it my sport of choice.

Its also a particularly difficult sport to shoot. The ball will go in one of 9 different directions, so its all about anticipation, reaction time and knowing the game. For example, if there's a right handed batter facing a fastball pitcher, odds are he's going to pull the ball to the left side of the field if he makes contact. Likewise, he's also more likely to foul off the ball down the 3rd base side.

We don't have photo wells, so we're on the field. I wear a helmet on the field as I'm not willing to loose my head for $11/hr.

Opening day was a little rusty. My timing isn't there and i think it will take a few games just to get into the swing of things.




Presbyterian outfielder Aaron Preston fields the ball after loosing it in the sun in the bottom of the first inning as Georgia beats Presbyterian College 11-3 at Foley Field on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga.



Georgia third baseman Colby May (25) swings at a pitch as Georgia beats Presbyterian College 11-3 at Foley Field on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga.




Georgia pitcher Eric Swegman (35) pitches in the top of the second inning as Georgia beats Presbyterian College 11-3 at Foley Field on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 in Athens, Ga. (Shot with a special effect lens)

No comments: