Monday, June 15, 2009

Stone Mountain



The skyline of Atlana, noontime. (Okay, I hit Autolevels in Photoshop and got this. Sunshine white balance at about a stop underexposed. Talk about haze)

I've been thinking a lot about this blog post/entry. Since I've grown up living in Northern Virginia, I've grown up around the larger Civil War sites. I drove every day for 3 years through Manassas Battlefield. I've been to Gettysburg to see both lines as well as the small rocks that comprise Little Round Top; those same rocks that held the Union together and gave us the America we know today.

Now what I've never seen is a stone carving of Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and (someone else) in a 1600ft tall giant bubble of granite.



The view on the way up.



Thats the carving.




Apparently Robert E. Lee (center) is related to the people at Easter Island.



I liked the gondolas except they arent air conditioned and we're all put in like cattle.






The breeze was very nice 1600 feet up. Several people were flying kites.



Gratuitous Dropkick Murphys advertising.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you've never seen their 4th of July fireworks display, it is SPECTACULAR. And very, very loud. A must. At least it still was a few years ago last time I went.

Josh D. Weiss said...

Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson

David Manning said...

Jefferson Davis was from Kentucky and the other two are Virginians. I still don't get it.