Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Multipop vs Repeating Flash



I was given a relatively easy task by my HS prep's editor: Show the pitching mechanics of a throw.

Two given solutions to the challenge, with the explanations of each below.



My thoughts were pretty simple: Do a repeating flash on a single exposure OR hammer the motor-drive and try not to blow out the flash tube and make a composite.

My first attempt was with Bradley using an SB800 on repeated flash mode. It was merely okay. I wasn't getting the flash rate i wanted but i'm not sure that would be possible with tiny flashes, or not without profotos & PW multimaxes. (If that sounds expensive, your right.) I found pitching from the stretch or with a side-step looked the best but i wasn't quite getting what i wanted. Also because of logistics, i was forced to grid the light to keep it off the wall behind the subject.




Enter attempt 2, the top photo. I'll shoot off a White-lightning on some super low power and go for 8fps and just composite the thing together. Looked much better, light seemed more consistent and you could see the entire mechanics of the throw.

(And the white-lightning survived unharmed.)

2 comments:

kewlfocus said...

So how does your press handle primarily black photos? Is it a muddy mess like the DC? I'm sure they actually know how to work the press at your paper.

David Manning said...

No they can actually handle it. I just try not to do it too often.

DC just tried to do it on the cheap after they moved production away from prepress people.