Thursday, July 25, 2013

Trayvon Martin/Anti Gun Violence March

J'Mila Pittman, of Orlando, Fla., yells during a rally in support of slain teenager Trayvon Martin in Orlando, Florida July 17, 2013. Martin was shot dead by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in 2012.  REUTERS/David Manning  (UNITED STATES)  

In the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict, many rallies have taken to the streets to protest the verdict.  I will touch on covering this trial sometime in the future.

I covered one last week in Orlando that drew 1500 people at the last minute.  It was peaceful; one counter-protester and overall was the typical protest march.

As always, hit the jump.




There was one very brave counter-protestor.  The head of the Florida Civil Rights Association (guy in the suit in the center) ensured the man's safety. He spoke his mind and then went on his way. (You can find his name elsewhere; I'm not going to publicly post it)






Other thought: After covering a fast paced march & rally in the Florida heat and humidity, I didn't have my best wits about me. Moreover, my edit sucked because my mind lost focus. I was soaked through every inch of clothing from sweat, I was exhausted and hungry. I missed sending photos that I should have sent.  Rookie mistake and thensome. 

Everything below are photos I made that I wanted to be part of the edit. 











No comments: