Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chris and Keni's Wedding.



Barrow County Sheriff's Deputy Chris Hulett, right, kisses his bride Keni Carter during their wedding reception at Athens Regional Medical Center on Fri., Jan 29, 2010 in Athens, Ga. Hulett was diagnosed with end-stage melanoma. Carter decided Friday morning that they should be married later that day.

Hit the jump for the story.



For the record, I will do weddings. I've shot them before. I'll shoot them again.

Rarely do i photograph them as part of documentary photojournalism.

I had a news editor run in to my office at 4:30 and tell me that there was a wedding happening RIGHT NOW for a terminally ill man. By 4:40, myself at Joe Van Hoose were at the hospital with minutes to spare.

Today i met Barrow County Sheriff's deputy Chris Hulett and his bride Keni Carter. I met them at their wedding at Athens Regional Memorial Hospital. Hulett has stage 4 melanoma and due to a sudden downturn in his health, is not expected to survive the weekend. Friday morning, Carter decided that they would be wed Friday afternoon.

This is their wedding.

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless both of you!!!!

kewlfocus said...

Dude, what a great opportunity, even though it's a very very sad story. You were there to capture the moments. Have you ever put together a Pulitzer entry?