Monday, January 18, 2010

Sh!tty Candy and the Circus Peanuts! Take 2, Pt. 1



I'm breaking this up into two posts. This is pt 1. Tomorrow will be Pt 2.

I criticized my work from the first time i saw this show. I wasn't happy. It wasn't how this band SHOULD look or how I wanted my photos to look.

Needless to say, the second time around is always better.

More female punk debauchery after the jump.





I've photographed countless shows in my life in the past 10 years from mainstream acts like Stone Temple Pilots & U2 to small indie shows at Athfest to my friend Amber in Thieves Market to being on stage and photographing my favorites, Dropkick Murphys.

So when it comes to a career highlight, I've never had so much fun or had such as Tuesday night seeing some new friends play for a small intimate audience inside a converted gas station garage. I've never made photos that I was this happy with. I look back and I'd do it all the same way again.

For those who want to know about tech specs? I lit the stage. Ambient light was 30th/2.8/6400, so I tossed up two flashes at 1/32nd power. One gelled red and clamped onto a speaker column (Jess if knew you'd have been standing right there, I'd have put it elsewhere) and the other up high, 1/4 grid aimed at center stage with an amber gel on it, which is like 1/8th CTO i think. Most everything was 10th-30th@f/5.6. Basically 1 or 2 stops over the ambient... and it looked good.















No comments: