Friday, October 29, 2010

Sportrait: Chandler Gunn



Athens Academy wide receiver Chandler Gunn on Thursday, October 21, 2010 in Watkinsville, Ga. Gunn went from being the teams kicker 2 years ago to its leading receiver.

I do this every week. I've photographed at least 100-125 high school athlete portraits in the past 3 years. That is a lot of practice at being able to do a simple, well-executed lit portrait in a short amount of time. More after the jump.



When photographing HS kids, I'm usually limited to whatever we can fit into before practice, be it 5 minutes or 15. Coaches have limited time with their players per week and I understand that they don't want their kids off with a photographer instead of practicing.

I found these milkweeds right outside the locker room door. I decided instantly that I was going to photograph him right there, with him in the weeds. I tried it long, it wasn't clean enough and didn't give the right feel. Went in with the 35, shot up and voila.

Its pretty, simple & well executed. Framed the subject within the existing environment.

Tech specs:
1/250th @ f/16, ISO 100.
Key light : SB-80 (direct) @ 1/2 power, 5 feet away.
Rimlight: Sun @ full power, 93 million miles away.

No comments: